So, it is not a secret that we are big Italian food lovers.
Whoever knows us a little bit will testify that we will never give up upon a good pasta (for Maya), an awesome pizza (for Leon) and how can we seal a good meal without a tiramisu or an ice cream?!
After all that has been said, now you can understand our big love for Italy. Rome has always been our favorite European city for its historical monuments all around and beautiful streets, but now it has a really great addition…. FOOD!
The problem with touristic cities is that not every restaurant is making real local food. That means that if you ate in a restaurant in Italy, it doesn’t mean you ate real Italian, authentic food.
We’ve been walking around and asking locals where to eat and came to know that if you would like to eat good pasta, you have to go to a place that only makes pasta and the same for pizza
Does it mean that restaurants that serve all kinds of food are not as good? Well, I have no idea, but that is what the locals say…
So, these are our top 4 pizza and pasta restaurants in Rome! Enjoy!
: Every place we asked for the best pizza in Rome, the answer was the same…Belonging to one of the oldest pizza-maker families from Naples. We were lucky to enjoy the new branch in Rome and after a long time of searching, we finally discovered our favorite pizza in Rome. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to visit this place as many times as we could in our short visit, and still when we’re looking back on the photos we took from there, we can’t help but fantasize about our next pizza slice at Sorbillo!
When you’ll get there, don’t forget to order the Margherita Bufala, it’s a whole new league of a MAMA MIA!!!!
Instagram : @sorbillo (more than 300K followers?!?!?!?!?)
Address: Piazza Augusto Imperatore, 46, 00186
To be honest, we didn’t eat there but did get lots of recommendations about this place. So, as far as the other recommendations didn’t fail us, we decided to add this place to our list as well so you could go out there and check it by yourself. This restaurant won lots and lots of awards for being the best pizza in many people’s opinion.
Instagram: @ lagattamangiona
Address: Via Federico Ozanam, 30-32, 00152
A tip we got from one of the best Italian chefs in the middle east: wherever you decide to eat a pizza, you first have to try the very classic Napolitana margarita pizza to test whether the pizzeria is good or not.
Two main names we heard when asking about where to try the best pasta we can in Rome.
The making of pasta always sounds so easy, but you will understand that it is a real art after eating in this restaurant. If you love Pasta, wine, good meat, freshly baked pastry with a combination of skillful chefs and kind service. You will thank us after reading this article. The thing we liked the most about this place, besides the food is that you can buy all the fresh products they use in the shop just next to the restaurant, so you can try to make your own amazing Italian food even at home.
Ps- do NOT miss the Carbonara. It’s absolutely divine.
Address: Via dei Giubbonari, 21-22 00186
On our last evening in Rome, we decided to try our luck once again with this another local Roman pearl that we heard lots of compliments about from the locals. We were lucky to arrive as early as the doors opened because after that all the tables were booked! The pasta was amazing as we expected and even more, the service was kind and nice and the Tiramisu for the dessert was most definitely the best we tasted in Rome!
Btw- Luciano has been announced as the king of Carbonara and even got a Michelin star!
Address: Piazza del Teatro di Pompeo, 18, 00186
And to you from us with LOVE, here are a few tips on how to behave like a Roman in a local restaurant:
- Meet the Sciapo. Well, you all know the dry, not tasty, and not warm bread you get as a fresh meal in most Italian restaurants, right? You’ll be happy to know that it’s for a reason, yeah, I know, shocking!! The simple reason is that the bread is tasteless is for you, so you’ll be able to wipe dry all the sauce from each meal you’ve got and to enjoy every bite to its best. In Rome do NOT leave any leftovers from your sauce, thank you!
- There’s no salt on tables, try not to offend the chef by asking for one. Ask for a pecorino cheese instead😊
- Do not ask for a cappuccino at the end of the meal, ask for espresso!
- Al dente is the key. And no, it is not the name of the chef or some poet guy. This is the way Italians are serving their kinds of pasta. don’t expect it to be soft and overcooked, and trust me it’s perfect and that is exactly what makes all the difference.
- The waiters are not slow or lazy, and the service is not bad. Yeah, you got it all wrong! When in Rome, do as the Romans. Eat slowly, enjoy every bite. The food culture here is sacred! It’s a tradition, it’s a way of life. You wait a bit between one dish to another, you chat, you laugh, drink a glass of wine. They intend you to do so, so they don’t rush, as you shouldn’t rush.
With that being said, we hope that you will enjoy your vacation in Rome as much as we enjoyed it thanks to the great local food and of course the beautiful historical city! Don’t forget to tell us where did you enjoy the most and… Buon appetito.